Sunday, November 20, 2011

Funny the way it is

I live in my head. We all do. I know this, but it has become clear to me that I do so in ways other people do not. Take music videos. I don’t want to watch them. I prefer the song in my ear and the imagery in my head. I’ve never seen Dave Matthews Band’s video for their outstanding song, ‘funny the way it is’ before tonight. I would not have ever watched it if it had not been for my son Mike. He asked about the meaning of song this morning. He had seen the video. So it got me thinking about the song again. After a few hundred renditions of the lyrics, I was ready to answer his question. But the moment (and the hours) had passed.

Funny the way it is, if you think about it Somebody’s going hungry and someone else is eating out Funny the way it is, not right or wrong Somebody’s heart is broken and it becomes your favorite song

Read more: FUNNY THE WAY IT IS LYRICS

I have the lyrics memorized. When I sing it to myself, what I see in my mind is completely different from the silly video produced for the song. I think my disconnect is that a serious song (I think of this one a serious song) deserves better imagery, not trite pap.

I do the the song though…

Technorati Tags: ,