Sunday, February 06, 2011

Was the Trinity added to the bible?

I was listening to a lecture called Misquoting Jesus by Dr. Bart. D. Ehrman when I heard the story of how The Trinity was added to the bible via the Latin manuscripts (in part 5) and that it had not existed in the known Greek manuscripts in any form. In the video below, the discussion starts at 9:10 and picks up with specifics about The Trinity at 10:40. The implication is that early Christians invented the concept and then added it the Christian body of knowledge via modifications to the Latin texts in order to protect doctrine.

The Trinity was one of the hardest things for me to grasp as a Christian and made even less sense after I became an atheist. I rarely argued the point though. How does one argue against a position that is irrational?