Sunday, May 02, 2010

Growing as a photographer

DSC_6513

I set a goal at the start of the year.d to work on my macro skills. I’ve had a high quality macro lens for two years. So far the results have been disappointing. I simply do not have the skill to use the lens. I resolved to fix the problem in 2010, so far results are mixed, but I am learning a great deal. The number one lesson so far is to be patient. I must resist my desire to take the picture in favor of looking at composition, depth of field, lighting, the stability of my camera, and the stability of my subject.

I took 50 photo’s today. I kept 2. The rest were marginal, or downright bad. I liked this shot, but I took a full page of notes on my setup. I should have used a tripod. I should have been much more precise on the focal point. I should have paid more attention to the depth of field. I like the color saturation but I could have used some help from a reflector. And next time… I will shoot a bigger subject, these flowers are the size of a pencil eraser. They were difficult to work with. 

Technorati Tags: ,