Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blogroll Update: Why do we believe in God?

Please join me in welcoming our newest Atheist Blogroll member, Why do we believe in God? The author provided an introduction.

In his own words:

My name is Rafael Garcia, the author of yet another atheist blog. whygod.weebly.com

I've created this site to share my position in the God debate. I am not religious in any way; I don't preach or pray to any God. So a warning to all religious people: the things that I say in my site may insult you, but know that I mean no harm. I do not claim to hold all the answers, because I am not an egotistical religious leader who claims to know everything.

I don't claim to disprove God's existence, I make no such claim because I cannot prove that God doesn't exist. No religion can prove that he does either. Its all faith. I know that I cannot compete against faith. I am just talking about having reasonable doubt.

I was brought up catholic and spend many Sundays at church. I stopped believing in God when I started to try to use rational thinking to justify my belief. I began to ask questions and wasn't too satisfied with the response. It seems that no matter what you ask, you get the same response: God has a plan or God works in mysterious ways. You never get a legitimate answer, you get similes, metaphors, and other "theories" that just have no real argument.

I look at history and see the bloody history of man kind, and religion is one of the reason of why there has been so much violence in the world. Which is very surprising, because religion is supposed to teach people peace and tolerence. Religion does not bring people together, in fact it divides people, because they can't seem to agree on who's praying to the right God. Even when they are praying to the same God, they still can't agree on the fine print. How many different Christian churches are there? I've lost count myself.

Anyway, I'm not here to convert anyone, I just want to speak about what I believe. Isn't that what other religious people do? Except they try to convert others. I will not knock on your door wearing a white shirt and a black tie holding the book of evolution. I promise. Even if you prayed me with charitable donations...

- Rafael Garcia