Saturday, February 21, 2009

I'm so conflicted

Baptist Pastor Walter Hoye will spend 30 days in jail for violating an Oakland law that creates a buffer zone between anti-abortion protesters and abortion clinics. Walter Hoye is a peaceful man who carries a sign that reads “Jesus Loves You and Your Baby. Can We Help You?” From a few unbiased accounts I've read, it appears that Hoye did not harass women entering the clinic, yet he is going to jail.

Everyone who reads my blog knows that I am no fan of religion, but a am also a huge fan of free speech. I am conflicted here because I don’t like religion imprinting it’s contrived moral agenda on secular society. I tend to rebel against the message because I don’t want the message to become law. People need options.

I also support the right of people like Hoye who peacefully protest what they find morally objectionable. From the accounts I’ve read, I do not see what Hoye did as wrong. Do you?

Technorati tags: , ,