Sunday, February 15, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count

I’m a bit of an odd bird… I like bird watching, I always have. It all started after I killed a sparrow with a BB gun as a child. The guilt was overwhelming. I’ve been a bird watcher ever since. I did a little bird watching this weekend as a participant in the Great Backyard Bird Count. I shot a few pictures along the way too.

I saw the ubiquitous Mallards and American Coots, but I saw a few less common birds too, like the Northern Spoonbill and the Great Egret. I actually saw a Great Egret trying to swallow a gopher and a Little Egret take another gopher from the ground.

The park I visited was full of Canadian Geese. I counted 40 in two groups. I also saw a few Wood Ducks, Gadwalls, and Green Winged Teals.

Heron

The highlight of the day was a half dozen Black-crowned Night-Herons in a tree. A few juveniles were in the area too.

It’s fun and a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Technorati tags: