Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Build with Jesus

Would you be offended if your child opened a kids meal at Long John Silver’s and found a religious themed gift inside? I would be, snd so was a Muslim family at the Mall of America. They were recently offered a Christian themed notebook with the title Build with Jesus (pdf). When they asked for a non-religious toy, they found there was no alternative. It was Christian evangelism, or nothing.

The official response would not have satisfied me. The store simple offered to have alternative toys available. I would have pushed for providing non-religious toys.

In a letter to CAIR-MN, the Long John Silver's franchisee owner Steve Oborn wrote: "In an attempt to support and respect a multitude of diverse needs and preferences, it is our policy to have an optional toy(s) available per request.

I’d like to see the Building with Mohammad version. I’ll hold my breath. The only religious message tolerated will be a Christian message. I’m sure the alternative toy will be a piece of paper and a lump of coal.

I found some hate filled responses to this situation on a Christian blog. The comments are just crazy.

Offending is good! I say our government should subsidize Klezmer Artists. And Carolers! And People pushing Baroque Christian music! And Traditional Judeo/Christian music in all it's forms! Screw them!!!

--

Nora, I agree with you. I think Christmas is a beautiful holiday.

I'm offended that Muslims were offended by a notepad. Notice the pattern here? Danish cartoons, teddy bear names, and children's meal toys. Only stupid people are offended by such stupid things.

I don’t get Christian hate.

Technorati tags: , , ,