Saturday, April 28, 2007

Soon & Very Soon

On Thursday, I flew home from San Antonio on a business trip. My flight was a Southwest nonstop which was nearly full. A half hour or so into the flight I was into my travel zone. My iPod  played a random mix. My Sure E3's blocked out most of the flight noise. My mind was occupied by the last few chapters of I Sold my Soul on eBay. Life was good. It was then that an odd thing happened. Andraé Crouch's Soon & Very Soon started to play on my iPod. I like the song, it is uplifting. so I let it play on. The aircraft hit some turbulence. The man across the isle had a heart attack.

Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King
Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King
Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! We're going to see the King.

I watched the support process from a few feet away. A flight attendant did her best to help him. Another flight attendant asked for a doctor. Things got real busy as they tried to stabilized him. As his condition worsened, the elderly man next to him held his hand. A few people prayed. Most people just watched.

No more crying there, we are going to see the King
No more crying there, we are going to see the King
No more crying there, we are going to see the King
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! We're going to see the King.

The plane flew on into Los Angeles. The drama had moved to the back of the plane. I finished my book. I listened to more music. I even talked with my annoying neighbor. I did not pray, but I did something like it. I hoped. I hoped the man would walk off the aircraft. He eventually did. It was not pretty, but he walked off.

Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King
Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King
Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! We're going to see the King.

I walked off the aircraft a few minutes later. Is this love played in my headphones. A flight attended was sitting in a lounge chair crying. It had been a tough hour for her. I stopped to say thank you. She gave me hug and smile. It was a good day.

3 comments:

jamon said...

Fabulous post Mojey.

Hope is the fundament to humanity, is it not?

Johnny C said...

I am not really sure what to say about this post. I know I have been in situations where it tugs at your heart. When you said you hoped, I truly understood it, I have always felt the same way. It is not a prayer or anything of that nature, but rather the natural feeling of well being for someone.

Someone once asked me if in times of crisis if I ever prayed. I was honest and told him no, but I did have hope. He seemed to think it was the same thing. But I know, just as you have shown that you know, by this post. That hope, is all about humanity and dreams, and the natural way of things. Not simply someone or something to look for answers to or to blame things on. That is life which is why I want to live mine by natural terms.

Great post.

Mojoey said...

Thanks guys - Some people I respect told me this was one of my best posts ever. It made me very happy. I appreciate the support.

Johnny - did you start blogging again?